The historical wildfire Geographic Information System (GIS) data are available here as an ESRI Shapefile (contained within a downloadable ZIP file). The GIS datasets comprise polygon features representing wildfire perimeters and are in a Geographic Coordinate System with a NAD83 datum.
Our historical wildfire data is still improving, and the data presented here will be updated as better data become available.
- The earliest wildfires represented in this dataset are from 1931 to the last completed fire year.
- January 2019 marked the resuming of the “fire year” Starting January 1, 2019
- Up until the year 2000, "fire year" refers to January 1 - December 31. In 2001, the fire year went from January 1, 2001 - Mar 31, 2002.
- Every fire year after 2001 until 2017 begins on April 1 of the named fire year and ends on the following March 31 (e.g., the 2002 fire year is from April 1, 2002 - March 31, 2003).
- The 2018 fire year went from April 1, 2018 –December 31, 2018.
- The datasets from 1998 on should include most of the fires 12 hectares (29.7 acres) or larger that occurred within the legislated Forest Protection Area. The datasets prior to these years may include some fires smaller than 200 hectares (494.2 acres), but the emphasis on the data collection for these years was to provide Class E fires (wildfire larger than 200 hectares or 494.2 acres).
For further information on historical spatial wildfire data, contact:
Updated: Jun 10, 2022