Job Classification: Program Services 1
Salary Range: $28.77 - $37.40 per hour
Length of employment: As required by the department, but generally April 15 to October 31
Deadline for application: February 8 of each year
Do you want to be a key part of our wildfire investigations program? Do you have what it takes physically and mentally to withstand working long
hours determining the origin and cause of wildfires in Alberta? Do you want to learn about wildfire and develop your investigation skills?
If so, a Seasonal Wildfire Investigator position may be ideal for you.
The Seasonal Wildfire Investigator will report to an experienced Provincial Wildfire Investigator and assist the Compliance and Investigations Unit
to establish wildfire origin and cause. Seasonal Investigators will receive on the job training and guidance in wildfire origin and cause determination,
while practicing their skills in investigative interviewing, evidence collection, and scene documentation.
Minimum Recruitment Standards
- Diploma or degree in Enforcement/Police and Investigations, Conservation Enforcement, or related studies
- 18 years of age or older
- Candidates with lesser qualifications may be considered at a lower classification
Education & Experience Preferred:
- Valid First Aid Certificate with CPR **
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License **
- Current Driver’s Abstract
- A Driver’s Abstract, showing a record of seven (7) demerits or less, must be obtained. Your driver’s abstract must show: your driving record for the past five years, and all violations (moving and non-moving), citations, suspensions, and any driving restrictions placed upon you. Your driver’s abstract is required to be obtained within 30 days prior to your commencement date (noted above) and must be presented to management prior to your commencement for your above stated position.
- Valid Defensive Driving Certificate **
- Certificate of Proficiency in Radio (Aeronautical) from Industry Canada
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Investigative interviewing and evidence collection skills
- Working knowledge of computers and applicable software
- Good organization and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills including the ability to make time-sensitive decisions
Completion of a fitness test may be a requirement of this position.
Updated: Oct 14, 2014
Roles & Responsibilities
- Be aware of OH&S policy and adhere to high standard of safety in the work place. This includes being present for regular safety briefings
- Demonstrate professionalism and dress in accordance with the AAF departmental uniform policy
- Aid in province-wide wildfire investigations
- Gather evidence at wildfires
- Field documentation, taking notes, photographs, and witness statements
- Conduct follow-up and provide ongoing support during active investigations
- Write reports, conduct research and manage files
- Provide support to the Wildfire Investigations Program and work with staff to improve it
- The Seasonal Wildfire Investigator will be trained to FI-110 standards with the opportunity to attend further training
Updated: Oct 14, 2014
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hours are in a typical work week?
The typical work week is a 36.25 (7.25 hours/day). You may be required to work overtime.
Do I require a vehicle?
A vehicle is not required, however it is your responsibility to obtain transportation to and from work. While working, a vehicle will be available to perform work related duties. Successful completion of defensive driving is required to
operate a Department vehicle.
Where will I be working?
The position is provincially based, and as such you can expect to travel around to all areas of the province depending on the fire danger and requirements of the Department.
Updated: Dec 15, 2017
How to apply
Interested applicants can submit a resume by mail, fax or e-mail:
9th Floor; 9920 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2M4
Updated: Jan 11, 2019
Disclaimer: This web page was built using information believed to be accurate at the time of construction
and is for information purposes only. For specifics on the job position, please contact the location/person in charge of
the position you wish to apply for.
Updated: Dec 3, 2019