Job Classification: Administrative Support Series
Salary Range: $21.14 - $25.83 per hour
Length of employment: As needed by the department, but generally May 1st to August 31st
Deadline for application: January 31 – please contact your local Forest Area office
The Wildfire Dispatcher is employed at the Area Fire Centre and is a reactive function. Dispatchers are responsible for taking appropriate actions to move, place or direct resources with direction from a Duty Officer.
Their goal is to ensure that wildfire situations are handled as efficiently and safely as possible.
The Wildfire Dispatcher is responsible for radio transmissions and operating a variety of communication equipment, including;
computers, printers, phones and radios.
The work includes transmitting, receiving, relaying and recording messages and communications between various groups and entities with the Forestry Division,
as well as handling radio communications with aircraft operating on government business.
Minimum Recruitment Standards
- High school diploma.
- Directly related experience considered on the basis of: one year of experience for one year of education.
- 18 years of age.
Education & Experience Preferred/Required
- Valid First Aid Certificate with CPR**
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- Current Driver’s Abstract
- A Driver’s Abstract, showing a record of seven (7) demerits or less, must be obtained. Your driver’s abstract must show: your driving record for the past five years, and all violations (moving and non-moving), citations, suspensions, and any driving restrictions placed upon you. Your driver’s abstract is required to be obtained within 30 days prior to your commencement date (noted above) and must be presented to management prior to your commencement for your above stated position.
- Valid Defensive Driving Certificate
- Certificate of Proficiency in Radio (Aeronautical) from Industry Canada.
- Experience in Microsoft Office, specifically: Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Highly organized individual with excellent keyboard, computer and communication skills.
- Previous experience with Forest Protection and asset but not necessary.
Completion of a fitness test may be a requirement of this position.
Updated: Jan 22, 2016
Roles & Responsibilities
- Operate office equipment including various radio communication systems, faxes, telephone, photocopier, Microsoft and specialized
- Ensure appropriate procedures and regulations are adhered to.
- Manage fire centre telephone, email and fax traffic.
- Print daily fire and intelligence reports from a data base and forward appropriately.
- Deploy “First Strike” initial attack resources based on guidelines established in the standard operating procedures.
- Maintain awareness of changing conditions affecting fire preparedness and suppression activities.
- Assist in procurement of wildfire resources and initiate/terminate contracts accordingly.
- Process aircraft requests for all agencies with the department.
- Monitor all aircraft and fire activities to ensure related regulations, policy and procedural guidelines are followed,
maintain an aircraft position log, manifests, daily flight log, and daily flight reports.
- Monitor and print maps from the lightning detection system.
- Maintain associated date in the Fires Information and Resource Evaluation System
- Monitor the GPS Dispatch System.
- Update routine visual display records as activities change.
- Must be available for possible export.
Updated: May 16, 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I have to work evening or weekends?
Some shifts are scheduled during evening and weekends, you may also be required to work overtime.
Updated: May 16, 2013
How to apply
Interested applicants can apply through the GOA jobs board. For job specific questions please use the contact information below.
Updated: Dec 17, 2020
Disclaimer: This web page was built using information believed to be accurate at the time of construction
and is for information purposes only. For specifics on the job position, please contact the location/person in charge of
the position you wish to apply for.
Updated: Oct 28, 2020