Job Classification: Natural Resources 3
Salary Range: $22.76 - $28.31 per hour
Length of employment: As needed by the department, but generally April to September
Deadline for application: January 31
Do you want to be a key part in our detection system by supporting the detection program, specifically the Lookout Observers? Do you have what it takes physically and mentally to work with the Lookout Observers in meeting their needs?
If so, a Wildfire Detection Aide position may be an ideal seasonal position for you.
A Detection Aide is required to perform a variety of duties. The first priority is to ensure the Lookout Observers receive their scheduled servicing of groceries, water and warehouse supplies. In addition, the Detection Aide may need to fill the role as Lookout Observer, document and report identified maintenance needs at the lookout, and participate in the Area’s detection program by completing fixed wing patrols.
Minimum Recruitment Standards
- High school diploma
- One year of related experience.
- 18 years of age.
- Physically able to perform the work associated with lookout operations.
- Directly related experience or education considered as one year of experience for one year of education, or one year of education for one year of experience.
Education & Experience Preferred
- Valid First Aid Certificate with CPR **
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License **
- Current Driver’s Abstract
- A Driver’s Abstract, showing a record of seven (7) demerits or less, must be obtained. Your driver’s abstract must be obtained within 30 days prior to your commencement date and must be presented to management prior to your commencement for the above stated position.
- Valid Defensive Driving Certificate **
- Certificate of Proficiency in Radio (Aeronautical) from Industry Canada.
- Highly organized individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Successful applicants must have the Lookout Medical Certification completed by a medical doctor, and found fit to do lookout work, prior to employment.**
Completion of a fitness test may be a requirement of this position.
Updated: Jan 10, 2022
Roles & Responsibilities
- In consultation with the supervisor, set up a spare lookout schedule with lookout staff for the season.
- Fill the role of Lookout Observer when the designated seasonal employee for the lookout cannot fulfill his/her duties or requires time off. While in this role, carry out all regular lookout duties, including:
- facility maintenance
- observations levels
- public relations
- weather recording
- wildfire detection
- Submit aircraft request for servicing through the Areas Wildfire Dispatch Supervisor.
- Document, inventory, and report all the identified maintenance and repairs required at eat lookout facility.
- Carry out fixed wing patrols as assigned by the Area Duty Officer.
- Assist in the spring opening and fall closure of the all the lookouts in the Area.
- As directed by the supervisor, ensure that all lookout documentation is being completed and submitted as required.
- Limited support may be provided to the Areas wildfire suppression efforts where participation does not conflict with the detection program.
Updated: May 16, 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hours are in a typical work week?
The typical work week is 36.25 hours (7.25 hours/day). You will be required to work overtime as required.
Are there living accommodations available?
In most Areas living accommodations are provided at no cost. Please contact the Area directly for type and availability.
Do I require a vehicle?
A vehicle is not required however it is your responsibility to obtain transportation to and from work. While working a vehicle will be available to perform work related duties. Successful completion of defensive driving is required to operate a Department vehicle.
What type of training is available?
Both on the job and formal training are provided. The successful candidate will be required to take the Lookout Observer course at the Hinton Training Center.
Updated: May 16, 2013
How to apply
Interested applicants can apply through the GOA jobs board. For job specific questions please use the contact information below.
Updated: Dec 17, 2020
Disclaimer: This web page was built using information believed to be accurate at the time of construction and is for information purposes only. For specifics on the job position, please contact the location/person in charge of the position you wish to apply for.
Updated: Jan 7, 2022