Job Classification: Administrative Support 3
Salary Range: $21.19 - $25.79 per hour
Length of employment: As needed by the department, but generally April to September
Deadline for application: February 15 – please contact your local Forest Area office
The Logistics Assistant reports to the Logistics Coordinator in the Area and is responsible for supporting the Logistics Section and Logistics Coordinator.
This position will support all staffing, logistics, and supply needs as directed by the Area Logistics Coordinator and/or Duty Officer including manpower, fireline equipment, heavy equipment, light equipment, specialized equipment, ground transport, fuel, communications, accommodation, meals and commissary.
This position requires excellent communication and organizational skills, ability to multi task, commitment to work long
hours when required, knowledge in various software programs, and ability to learn and utilize database software.
Minimum Recruitment Standards
High school diploma plus some related experience (i.e. up to 12 months).
Equivalency: Directly related experience or education considered on the basis of: one year of experience for one year of education or one year of education for one year of experience.
18 years of age.
Education & Experience Preferred/Required
- Valid First Aid Certificate with CPR **
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License **
- Valid Defensive Driving Certificate **
- Current Driver’s Abstract
- A Driver’s Abstract, showing a record of seven (7) demerits or less, must be obtained. Your driver’s abstract must show: your driving record for the past five years, and all violations (moving and non-moving), citations, suspensions, and any driving restrictions placed upon you. Your driver’s abstract is required to be obtained within 30 days prior to your commencement date (noted above) and must be presented to management prior to your commencement for your above stated position.
- Preference will go to applicants who have prior experience in coordinating and/or arranging projects or activities.
- Experience in Microsoft Office, specifically: Word, Outlook and Excel. Other database experience would be considered an
- Highly organized individual with excellent keyboard, computer and communication skills.
- Previous experience with Wildfire Management an asset but not necessary.
Completion of a fitness test may be a requirement of this position.
Updated: Jan 11, 2019
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist with the coordination of logistics and supply needs including manpower, equipment (line, heavy, light, specialized), ground transport, fuel, communications, accommodation, meals and commissary.
- Order fuel for aircraft, heavy equipment and facilities in compliance of the provincial contracts and standing offers.
- May be required to fill in Logistics Coordinator duties in their absence.
- Assemble wildfire crews as requested by the area Duty Officer.
- Interact with the Alberta Wildfire Coordination Centre (AWCC) for operational manpower/equipment requirements and responds to requests from AWCC for resources and manpower using the resource request module in FIRES.
- Complete the rotational hiring and release of heavy equipment.
- Arrange transportation and accommodations for import and export resources in compliance with the standing offer procedures.
- Acquire information required for out of province exports i.e. liaise between AWCC and manpower resource to complete manifests, and supporting documents.
- Keep warehouse staff informed of current and forecasted logistics and supply needs.
- Receive, review, distribute and fill inventory request orders (FP131).
- Ensure information boards are kept current and review, respond and file emails daily.
- Interact with Incident Management Teams during wildfire activities.
- Update spreadsheets for day tracking, import/export personnel, equipment rentals, and put check-in/check-out systems in place for staff.
- Hire from provincial contracts i.e. security, medic, fire-line camps.
- Coordinate the transportation of the Wildfire Management (FPD) trailers and the rental of the generator and supporting equipment.
- Order meals for personnel both in the office and in the field as required.
- May be required to review meal sheets.
- Track purchases and expenses as per Forest Area procedures.
- May be responsible for purchases and reconciliation of p-card within financial guidelines.
Updated: Jan 11, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hours are in a typical work week?
The typical work week is 36.25 hours (7.25 hours/day). You will be required to work overtime as required when the Area has
What kind of schedule would I be on?
Schedules between Areas will vary however you can expect to work either a 5/2 or 10/4 schedule.
Are there living accommodations available?
In most Areas living accommodations are provided at no cost. Please contact the Area directly for type and availability.
Do I require a vehicle?
A vehicle is not required however it is your responsibility to obtain transportation to and from work. While working a vehicle
will be available to perform work related duties. Successful completion of defensive driving is required to operate a Department
What type of training is available?
Both on-the-job and specific software training is available. If you are required to complete any tasks requiring specific
training it will be provided. i.e., Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
Am I expected to participate in the field on wildfires?
Depending on how busy the Area is, your experience, and willingness will you be asked to participate on wildfires. By participating
on a wildfire in a logistical support role you would gain a better understanding and appreciation of the logistics coordinator
position and wildfire operations section.
Updated: Jan 11, 2019
How to apply
Interested applicants can apply through the GOA jobs board. For job specific questions please use the contact information below.
Updated: Dec 17, 2020
Disclaimer: This web page was built using information believed to be accurate at the time of construction
and is for information purposes only. For specifics on the job position, please contact the location/person in charge of
the position you wish to apply for.
Updated: Oct 28, 2020