Positive Impacts from Wildfire
Wildfire can have a positive impact on forest health and wildlife habitat.
The Ecological Role of Fire
Heinselmans List (1973)
- Fire as an influence of the physical chemical environment
- Fire as a regulator of dry-matter accumulation
- Fire as a controller of plant species and communities
- Fire as a determinant of wildlife habitat patterns and population
- Fire as a controller of forest insects, parasites, fungi etc.
- Fire as a controller of major ecosystem processes and characteristics
Negative Impacts from Wildfire
Wildfire can destroy entire communities and burn timber supply.
Other negative impacts:
- Large financial costs relating to suppression and evacuation
- Loss of forest and natural resources
- Infrastructure/community loss or damage
- Business disruption
- Cost of environmental rehabilitation
- Social, ecological and economic impacts
Updated: Mar 10, 2009